Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sales is not equal to begging but Salesmen are!!

After a long break I am back to active blogging. Guess why this long break? No..no...I did not 'procastinate'.I just forgot. Afterall that is the only excuse I can give to myself...ha..ha..haaa....

After all these years of working in the tech domain I felt I was not a good techie..atleast that's what I understood of myself when I did a self examination. I always had the fascination for Business Development which is nothing but Sales. So I wanted to move to BD( not tamil bidi - though I smoke Cigarattes only). I spoke to my Boss and immediately offered me an opportunity to support the sales team from technical side which is by and large the technical sales. The location was in the US.
The business potential ,as it was portrayed, was great. The focus of the group was on me. I have been given a target which is stretched to a limit even the condom makers would not think about. I was excited and thought life is going to change for ever. You know, am a self motivated and determined individual but over confidence always pulls me down.
Having landed in the US, the land of well educated Indian slaves, I got the right opportunity to do something to prove myself. We had the competition from 'the company of suckers' (got the acronym?) and a bad reputation for our company. This is the last thing I wanted. I exactly got that. Mr. Murphy was all over me, I thought.
I was helping my sales guy, who apparently calls himself as 'relationship manager', making presentations to the customer teams. Everyday atleast 2 to 3 presentations. Tell me, who wants relationship. A whore wants to have sex and not relationship. And sex is a task. You know who is the whore. A good joke - ah.

Everytime we wanted to make a presentation, we have to go and ask them whether they want to have our capability presentation. They have the liberty of ignoring us but we don't. We need to be polite but they can be arrogant. They will not have great expectation because they know us very well. But we think we have improved a lot over the years. They say you offer same as your
competitor and what is your 'value add'. What value add? We will say 'we can improve your time to market'. You cannot get a child before ten months even if the lady was fucked by '10' men at a time. 10 is an exaggeration. Then follow up to the presentation to know any opportunity, which is, 'even you dont give us end to end we are ready to do a piece of the project, any design change, documentation. He will say 'not now but will keep your capabilities in mind and let you know if any opportunity comes up'. My excitement will go up everytime I make a presentation as if I saw Anglina Jolie nude. After the follow-up meeting the exictement goes down as if i had a premature ejaculation .

Wait!!!! what am I doing here. Am I selling something ? No. I am begging for business. Business for what? Virtually for Money. So I am begging for money, which will not belong to me and my so called 'relationship manager' but to my CEO. He calls himself as an entrepruener and gives us jobs. But still we are 'begging'.

God!! why I did this? Just to change. Because they say CHANGE IS CONSTANT. Where am I today? No idea what so ever. Did I change? No. What is it doing to me? Getting me stressed, demotivated.

I would think 'Beggars in India' are in lot better shape and livelihood than 'beggars from India'. And before I conclude I want to repeat Siddhu's words...I see light at the end of the tunnel but it is the light of the coming train'. Apt for me now.........

Bye
Manoj

4 comments:

Anu said...

Hello Mr.Beggar...oh sorry...u shud try sum different strategy of begging :) to convince ur potential customers...

manoj said...

see..am showing my frustration....you are joking.. if i dont beg our target will not be achieved...no comments on my language & style...

Nikhil said...

You are on the verge of outspoken and repulsion !!!!!
:D
I enjoyed it though.

Stressed out????

manoj said...

Thanks Nikhil..things are not so rosy as i wrote...Just blogging....no hard feelings